Saturday, April 23, 2011

You CAN make it.

Since there isn't a recycling program here yet, I decorated these cans instead of throwing them away. 

Select Sizes: For a set of organizing cans you could use in your office, hobby room, or garage, go for a variety of sizes.  The ones I used are from large chicken broth cans, normal soup cans, tomato sauce cans, tomato paste cans, and tuna fish cans.  I rinsed, dried, and saved for several months to get a good variety.
Edge Caution:  I used a smooth-edge can opener to remove the entire top without a sharp edge. Otherwise you have to sand your sharp edges.
Mod Podge:  After covering the cans with coordinating paper (using a few pieces of double sided tape to help keep it in place), I layered on the Mod Podge to make the paper more durable and give it a nice finish.
Decorate:  You could use stickers, buttons, ribbon, etc to decorate the cans. The stickers I used were layered under the Mod Podge.
Insides:  I did the same thing on the inside, but given the chance, I would definitely spray paint them a solid color before putting paper on the outside.
Step by Step Instructions: One of the many sites I looked at for ideas.


No comments: